Friday, September 28, 2007

I AM MARTHA!!! AND I DON'T MEAN STEWART!

So as most of you know my plate has been a little full these days - With all the weekends packed with trips out of town - I have not been able to attend church like I had been and with Suugah moved we haven't had bible study (it starts October 5th)
So LESLIE has been giving me a little grief about my quiet time...
Apparently we as a church are reading a Proverb a day - so I did that yesterday but I was in need of a little more help last night - As I laid down I pulled out my trusty "Battlefield of The Mind" by JOYCE MEYER (my fave) - It was still open to where it had been when I last read it
This day was called My Normal Mind (I chuckled - WHAT'S THAT???)
So as I read it was about Mary and Martha and then I read this
"Luke says Martha was distracted with much serving"

"Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things" (that's what Jesus say)

THEN I get to this part ~ People who are excessively busy cannot even sleep when they lie down at night. They are either mentally going over the day's activities or making mental notes of tasks for the next day!

DANG - THAT may explain the lunesta ~ So this is the prayer I am suppose to (and did say - but it will be my new mantra)

Dear God in heaven, distactions constantly come at me. When I try to pause and focus on You, my mind seems to be filled with dozens of things I need to do. I realize that I truly only need one thing ~ to focus on YOU. PLEASE help me push away every distraction and noise so I can only hear YOUR voice that says "Come unto Me and I will give you rest" AMEN!

So to this I say TELL IT LIKE IT IS JOYCE (and Leslie you may have been right!)



post signature

12 comments:

Terri said...

I know what you mean. Sometimes we get so busy and wrapped up in things around us (it doesn't help when you get people from MI coming to see you!), we get distracted from what really matters. It's hard to have a quiet time and when you have it planned, that's when it seems that your kids get up early too.
But still, that's a great prayer and one I'll have to remember too! We just have to keep trying.

Cheri said...

I agree and I do think the devil likes to use distractions to keep our eyes and ears busy so we can't focus on God. I think it's something we all struggle with. Thanks for sharing that prayer- I'll be saying it right along with you!
Cheri

Susie said...

WOW! That's hit me too! I cannot fall asleep forever now...it's just a constant run of lists, needs, wants, etc. Thanks for the inspiration and prayer, friend!

Kim said...

Have a great weekend my dear!

LeslieW. said...

I love you dude...I'll be glad to give you a hard time anytime!!!

Don't forget Joyce when you are packing tonight!

The Birds Nest said...

It's amazing what we can hear when we sit still and listen. I will be passing this along to my hubby because you know he's a rat on a wheel. I also need to take this advice because you know that I never sleep. I wonder how different my life will be when I clear out many of the stresses? When I pray with Mike tonight, we will once again pray for concentration on the only thing that really matters. Thanks for the good post!

Annie said...

I regretfully am a martha too.
From one martha to another, hope you have a still quiet weekend!
love ya!

Jeffcoat House said...

HMMMMMM.... so prayers will replace Lunesta?

Lindsay said...

Good deal. That is a good book. I just prayed that proverb over you last week..The one about peaceful sleep!The sleep of the righteous WILL be sweet!Amen.

A Captured Reflection said...

I popped by your blog to say hello as I'd 'seen' you on Mari's blog and was going to say - what a glamourous lady you are...and then I found this post. Absolutely yes sounds so like me, and I love Joyce Meyer. She is direct to the point and everything she says can be applied and makes sense in day to day life and totally in spiritual senses. So I came over to bless you and say - hey you are beautiful and I read your blog and got blessed - double beauty!

Cheri said...

Hey, Just curious- does your store have a website??
Cheri

Mari said...

Hi - we are home again and I'm trying to catch up. Karen is right - you are beautiful and you have blessed me on your blog and in person! I'm a Martha too - this is something I continually need to work on!